The Epicentre offers specialized services to our community including special education for children with developmental disabilities (ages 5-25), an inclusive early learning program for children with and without disabilities (ages 2-5), and a physical therapy unit for people of all ages and abilities.
Special Education (Ages 5-25)
Our special education program is for students with developmental, intellectual, and learning disabilities, who will benefit from an individualized educational plan, small class-sizes, and a friendly home environment to learn and have fun.
Students in our special education program are assessed at the start of each year and receive individualized plan designed to maximize their own unique strengths and abilities inside and outside of the classroom. A typical day involves a morning assembly, a first lesson in the classroom, outdoor physical activity, lunch, a second lesson in the classroom with hands-on projects, and music room and IT time.
Special education program features:
- Full-time physiotherapist and therapy unit on-site for students
- Periodic occupational and speech therapy from occupational therapy partners at Korle Bu Training Hospital
- Extra care available for students who require a personal care attendant
- Music room, IT space, and playground all used by students
- Students pack their own lunch or pay the center to supply lunch
- Overnight respite care with nurse available on weeknights for students who cannot or would prefer not to transport to and from the center every day
Early Learning Program (Ages 2-5)
Our inclusive early learning program welcomes children with and without special needs. We believe that young children learn best in an inclusive environment where students with all abilities are playing and learning alongside each another.
Early learning program features:
- A convenient option for siblings of students in our special education program
- Inclusive environment exposes students with and without disabilities to inclusion
- Outdoor play area, music room, and IT space for children
- Physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy services from special education program available as needed among students
Physical Therapy Unit
Many of our students with special needs require physical therapy to keep their bodies healthy and comfortable. Our physical therapy unit provides pediatric physical therapy to our students and provides physical therapy to adults and children in the community, who require any form of rehabilitation.
Physical therapy unit features:
- Full-time physiotherapist trained at Korle Bu Teaching Hospital and member of the Ghana Association of Physiotherapists
- Private physical therapy room for client assessment and exercises and large indoor and outdoor spaces for performing exercises
- Improvements usually witnessed by clients after weeks of recurring sessions (physical therapy requires a consistent, long-term commitment)
Our Teachers & Staff:
- Leticia Gomado – Special Educator
Evelyn Mensah – Special Educator & Respite Nurse
Henrietta Baddoo – Physiotherapist
- Linda Yeboah – Administrator
Emelia Bonsu – Classroom Assistant
Faustina Okine – Classroom Assistant
Michael Biney – School Caretaker
Leticia Ankomah – School Cleaner
Continue reading about how to enroll now!